There are several goals we hope to accomplish when we evaluate a tinnitus patient:
- Identify the underlying cause of your tinnitus symptoms
- Evaluate how your tinnitus is affecting your speech reception
- Assess whether you’re experiencing hyperacusis (sound sensitivity)
- Pinpoint the frequency and loudness of the sound you’re hearing
Tinnitus is a symptom of a wide range of health conditions, and it can occasionally point to a more serious problem that needs professional medical attention. Therefore trying to identify a cause of the tinnitus is important. If we can determine a diagnosis and address the condition causing your tinnitus, we may also be able to treat that condition and relieve your symptoms. If we can’t identify a specific cause of your tinnitus, we will recommend other treatment options.
During a tinnitus evaluation, an audiologist will administer:
- An in-depth written and verbal interview
- A complete physical examination of your auditory system
- A pure tone and ultra-high frequency audiometry test
- Speech reception and word recognition tests
- An otoacoustic emissions test
- Additional tests, studies and evaluations
Call Great Lakes ENT Specialists at (231) 489-8151 for more information or to schedule an appointment.